International Demand

2022 World Cup in Qatar: families of migrant workers demand compensation from FIFA

That’s according to human rights groups who say “thousands” have lost their lives or been injured since FIFA awarded the tournament to Qatar in 2010.

The families are now urging football’s governing body and the Qatari government to prepare for massive payments totaling £338m, the equivalent of the prize money for the World Cup which is due to start on November 20.

According to The Mirror, Charity Human Rights Watch teamed up with Amnesty International and FairSquare this week to renew appeals for disbursements.

Minky Worden of HRW (Human Rights Watch) also reportedly said, “Not a single migrant worker should die to make a World Cup possible. Yet in Qatar, thousands of people have done it.

However, while there are some Qatari compensation schemes, HRW says many foreign workers are still not eligible for compensation.

Among the many unfortunate deaths is that of Bangladeshi Sujan Mullah, who died at just 32 years old after spending three years on the construction sites of the World Cup.

His brother, Jamal Mollah, said: “Sujan said it was not a good working condition – very long hours in extreme heat. We were devastated by his death. Qatar and FIFA should compensate the families.

Ganga Sahani, 52, from Nepal, died in May. His son, Ram, told HRW the father-of-four was “healthy and strong” but the death certificate said he suffered from “heart failure”.

However, in Qatar, deaths from natural causes are not compensated.

Previously, there had been growing controversy over Qatar’s initial bid to host the global showpiece with rumors of forced labor in the country making the rounds on social media, forcing some famous footballing names to disapprove of the play’s venue. mistress of this year in November.

Felix Jakens of Amnesty International reportedly said: “Human rights issues have plagued this World Cup. FIFA should have insisted on human rights clauses when evaluating Qatar’s bid. Going through The mirror.

FIFA said it was told that Sujan and Ganga were not involved in World Cup plans, adding that experts believe the World Cup spotlight on Qatar has “contributed significantly to improving working conditions.

FIFA also says it will continue to push for greater protections, as the Qatari government has also claimed that thousands of foreign workers have benefited from labor reforms.